Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"What A Moment"

Jesus therefore, knowing all things that would come upon Him, went forward and said to them, "Whom are you seeking?"

They answered Him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am He." And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them.

Then-when He said to them, "I am He." -they drew back and fell to the ground. John 18:4-6


As I was reading this morning, these three little words and the affect they had jumped out at me and caused me to really stop and wonder at the amazing power of our God. Just five letters, that make up three little words, had the ability to put a detachment of grown soldiers on the ground. In both verses 3 and 12 it tells us about the detachment of troops that were with Judas to arrest Jesus. My footnote says that a detachment is made up of 300 - 600 Roman soldiers. Think about it! All He did was speak three words, "I am He."  What that moment must have been like! The power behind that confession caused them to draw back and fall to the ground. I can't help but be in awe. With five letters He dropped a crowd to the ground.

One minute they are responding to His question, "Whom are you seeking?" and the next they are on the ground and He didn't even lift a finger or do anything except speak those three powerful words, " I am He." It gives us a glimpse of those moments during Creation when that same power was at work each time  He spoke and said "Let there be _________."

What an amazing, wonderful God we serve. With all that power available to Him and instead, He willingly chose to surrender himself to redeem you and I.

Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?" John 18:13



No comments:

Post a Comment