Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"Next Up: The Solution"

"These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: "I know your works, that they are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.
     Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' -and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked - "I counsel you to buy gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
     As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
     Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
     To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat with My Father on His throne.
     He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:14-22

So, first He makes sure they know its Him talking and then He goes straight to the heart of His issue with them. After that He lets them know that He understands the how and why  of it and then the next thing up is the solution; "I counsel you to buy gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten, Therefore be zealous and repent.

The city's three main sources of wealth were --banking, production of wool cloth, and medicines. (including a tablet that was powdered, mixed with water, and smeared on the eyes.) By telling them to buy refined gold, white clothes, and eye salve He was addressing the areas of their life that had caused them to look to their own riches and caused them to be lukewarm so that they had need of nothing.

He was telling them to repent and make Him their provider, to make sure to put on the garments of praise and of righteousness so that He would cover their 'shame,' and to look to Him and have eyes that look to Him so that they could see Him. At this point He is telling them that He as telling them to repent because He loves them. He wants them to repent and is giving them such a stern rebuke because He wants them to look wholeheartedly to Him as their source. The had become so involved in their culture and way of life that they had become  indifferent towards Him. He was asking them to repent and become zealous once again for Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment