Thursday, June 13, 2013

"First things First - The Address"

     "These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: "I know your works, that they are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.
     Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' -and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked - "I counsel you to buy gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
     As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
     Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
     To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat with My Father on His throne.
     He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:14-22

It looks as though I will have to share with you in "bits and pieces" on this section of scripture as it would be too long to share everything I noticed in this one all at once.

So first things first, His address to the church of Laodicea; "These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God."  He is very clearly stating who is talking! He wants to make sure there is no doubt because of the things He is about to say to them.  He knows that He is talking to the church! He knows that He is about to give them a very stern rebuke and He wanted to make sure that the church knows that He is the one addressing them! He refers to Himself as the "Amen, the Faithful an True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God," and by doing so he is declaring his sovereignty and His position of authority to speak what He was about to speak.

In the Old Testament when Moses was standing before God and asked Him,  "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ' The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say?" God responded, "I AM WHO I AM."  Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you." Exodus 3:13-14 God is establishing to them that "He is the One who Is." He is the Sovereign God. We need to understand that when Jesus declared up front that He is the "Amen, the Faithful True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God,  He is declaring that He is "The One Who Is," the "So Be It." in the same way that God did with Moses and the purpose is the same in both cases, to declare, "Its Me! Pay attention and listen to what I have to say!"
 



No comments:

Post a Comment