Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Will We Go?

“I believe you. I believe that this is a God thing.” I say. “I've got to do this. I’m not scared about going. Or about what awaits me once I’m there. I just know in my heart that I've got to go. That this is God leading me. I’m sorry. I love you guys so much. But I am going with him.”

Once I really started wondering about Rebekah's last day with her family, in her known, safe world. I wrote about it, and this is what I imagined Rebekah saying to her family. The whole, "I love you, but get off my back." thing. 

She left everything she knew, went into the unknown, and stepped into God's destiny for her life. 
Most of us would have been a little hesitant if a random servant showed up claiming we were to leave with him immediately, sprint off to another country, and marry a strange person. Her family certainly wasn't okay with it! In the middle of this argument, they decided to see what Rebekah wanted to do. "And they called Rebekah and said to her, 'Will you go with this man?' She said, 'I will go.'" Genesis 24:58

She didn't pause. She didn't worry. She saw the incredible way God had picked her, called her, and that was enough for her.

Rebekah stepped into her destiny. She married Isaac. They had Jacob and Esau. From Jacob's descendants, the nation of Israel was born. That was part of her destiny, her legacy. If she had not left her family, then what would have happened?

We are all called. We all have a God-given destiny. There are times when it seems scary and unknown, but do we chicken out because of that?

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare (peace) and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Think about Ester who was called to the kingdom, "for such a time as this." Think about Abraham who also left his family and homeland. Think about Peter, who stood in a rickety fishing boat, while Jesus walked on water. We are all called for a God-given destiny. We are all called to take those scary first steps of pure faith. However, will we go?

This, my friends, is the conversation Rebekah is having with her handmaiden, right before she sees Isaac for the first time:

“Miss, may I ask you something?” She says hesitantly. I nod my head. She looks over her shoulder like she doesn't want anyone else to hear her before continuing in a hushed voice. “Do you still believe coming here was the right thing to do?”

The familiar question comes to my mind every day. But every day when I start to worry, I feel a peace flood me. “Yes,” I say finally, “I do.”



2 comments: