Thursday, January 2, 2014

"The Father's Words For You"

"And he said to him, 'Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours." Luke 15:31

There is a truth tied up in these words that Jesus spoke to the Pharisees and scribes as He told them the parable of the 'Prodigal Son.' They were murmuring about the way He allowed all the tax collectors and sinners to draw near to Him to hear Him teach. Luke 15:1-2  His response was to tell them this significant parable that ended with these words to the second son when his jealousy and resentment wouldn't allow him to be happy at the celebration for his brother's return.

I believe that this is a word that we as His people need to grab a hold of for this coming year! If we will catch hold of His message than we will walk and talk differently. We will walk and talk as though we truly understand that the inheritance is ours. Ours to walk out. Ours to use. Ours, to lay claim to with all the authority that comes with ownership.

The younger son had no problem understanding..."and the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give to me the portion of goods that falls to me.' So he divided to them his livelihood. And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living. Luke 15:12-13 It says that he went to his father and asked for his portion. He took it and left a few days later. He then proceeded to waste it away. After living for a while in that state it says that 'he came to himself' and decided to go back, that being a servant in his father's house would be a better place then the one he now found himself in. Luke:15:17-19

He knew that he had used his portion. He didn't expect to go back and have a claim to the same rights that he had had before as a son. He was going back with the idea of being a servant. It was the father, with a father's heart, and a father's love for his son that restored him back to his place as his son. But the father said to the servants, 'Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'

The older son comes home, finds a celebration in the works and gets angry, refusing to join the festivities. When the father goes out to talk to him, his response is to accuse his father ...So he answered and said to his father, 'Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. But as soon as this son of yours came, who devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.

Next, comes his father's response and these words were no different than the words that he had spoken to the younger son. They were both responses that revealed his love and provision for them both as His sons. "And he said to him, 'Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours." Luke 15:31 The older son hadn't understood. The fatted calf was His all along. He had never laid claim to it.

Sometimes, I think that, as believers you and I are no different than the older son. We have miss the mark in terms of our understanding of our position as sons and daughters of the Most High God. It is also because of this lack of understanding that we miss opportunities to 'make merry with the returning prodigals' as well as the signs, wonders, and miracles that come with walking as a child of God. I think we sometimes forget that He said over and over again that the kingdom of heaven is at hand. The kingdom of heaven is available to us here and now. Jesus said, "It is the Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32

I know because I know because I know that the Father's word for you and I, here, now, today is this; "I am with you always, and all that I have is yours." Put on your robe of righteousness, your garments of praise, your signet rings and Kill the fatted calf.

Meditate on these words from your heavenly Father: 'I am with you always; All that I have is yours.' This father worked hard all his life to provide an inheritance for his sons. Your Heavenly Father is no different. He too sacrificed and made a way for you and I to be His sons and daughters. The least we can do is thank Him and honor Him by being just that; Sons and Daughters of The Most High God.


No comments:

Post a Comment