Sunday, January 5, 2014

Talking to God

While I hope I'm not obsessed, I've got to say that I really enjoy cell phones. They make communication very easy. I can text or call someone, know that they've received the message, and they will reply in kind.

What if we could send text messages to God? What if we could pick up the phone and call Him? Would we all be closer to God? Would our relationship be deeper if we could hear His voice and see His answers?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

It is so annoyingly simple. If we want to hear God, then we need to start with His word. We can hear God's voice and see His direction through reading our Bibles. While cell phones make communicating with friends and family much easier, they wouldn't make our relationship with God any easier. It would kind of be like taking the easy way out. We already have the ultimate ways of communication with God! Prayer and His Word! It doesn't get any more direct then that!

"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God." John 8:47

 How awful that would be to hear! But it's the result of a lack of relationship with our Savior.

"How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you." Psalm 139:17-18

"My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up." Psalm 5:3

This should be our relationship with God! First thing on our minds: God. Don't take the easy, lackluster path. Don't rely on devices and a fallen world's concept of communication. Seek His face, read His word, pray. He will talk back.

"My heart has heard you say, 'Come talk with me.' And my heart responds, 'Lord, I am coming.'" Psalm 27:8

---Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment