Friday, December 20, 2013

Ready, Set, and Step Up!

"The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, seeking from him a sign from heaven to test him. And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, 'Why does this generation seek a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.'" Mark 8:11-12

We all know people like this. "If there's a God, prove it. Tell Him to give me a sign."

"Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." John 20:30-31

God, Jesus, and faith have never been about the signs. "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1) It is about the believing.

I despise step ladders. The one we have is a giant, and it's only three steps! What I'm really afraid about is falling off this ladder. Maybe it will collapse under me, and maybe it won't. A sign that the ladder will support me would be reassuring... Or I can believe. I may not be able to see if this ladder will support me from down here, but I can take my assurance, hope, and conviction and believe that it will hold me!

We all have a spiritual step ladder. We can stay at the bottom and demand signs from God, or we can take steps of faith up the ladder of belief. But you will never get anywhere without believing. And that starts with Jesus.

Ready, set, and step up!

---Joy





No comments:

Post a Comment