Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"This Amazing Scripture"

So here we are back at this amazing scripture and, hopefully ready for part II ...But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior ... Is 43:1-3

In part I we took a short look at "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;"  In part II we will take a look at His next phrase: "I have called you by name:" These six words may seem like something of "no brainer" to you but to me, they strike me as amazing! Imagine it, the God of all humanity, of all the universe would take the time to call me by name.

 I would say that 99.9 percent of the time I have spent my life feeling pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It has been my experience that when people call me its because they want something from me, not because they just want to spend time, with me. With God its different and we need to understand that our coming into the kingdom isn't an accident.  He doesn't get stuck with us because we happen to come along and believe. He said, "I have called you by name." Its on purpose. He chose you specifically, by name to come and to spend time with Him.

As I was thinking on the reality of these words, a scene came to mind where Jesus spoke the name of a friend and it made all the difference. Take a look at the account in John 20:11-18.  The account, when Mary is outside the tomb. She doesn't realize it, but she is talking to Jesus.  ...she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, "Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away." Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned to Him, "Rabboni!" ... vs 14-16  I love that, one minute she thinks she is talking to the gardener, and in an instance she knows that its Him! It happened just that quick, all because He spoke one word. Her name.

He spoke her name in a way that brought recognition. Think about it. How many people in her life had even bothered to know her name or spoken it in a way that wasn't full of derision, judgement, condemnation, condescension etc. Jesus came along and gave her life a hope and a future. He was probably the only one in her life that had ever spoken her name in way that was loving and full of affection. He spoke her name and everything changed.

So, as we come to the end of part II, I would ask you to once again read this "no brainer" phrase,                "I have called you by name." and then listen for the love in His voice as He calls, "Your name"




No comments:

Post a Comment