Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Jesus Listened And Then He Marveled"

In Luke 7:1-10 we see a lesson in faith that Jesus didn't actually teach!  As a matter of fact it says in verse nine that he heard the words and marveled at them.  He then declared, " I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!"  He was talking about the centurion with a sick servant. This lesson began when the centurion heard about Jesus, sent for the elders of the Jews, and asked them to convince Jesus to come and heal his servant.

In verse four and five it tells us that they did just that, as well as giving us a glimpse into their motivation, after all these are the same Jewish leaders that gave Jesus a hard time every chance they got.  Their motive wasn't faith.  It wasn't because they thought Jesus could or would heal him.  They did it because of who was asking them to ...And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this is worthy, "for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue."  He was a man with authority, power, influence. A man they were motivated to please because of what he could do for them.

The next thing that happens as Jesus is getting close.  The centurion sends some of his friends to meet Jesus and they tell Him, "Lord, do not trouble Yourself, for I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof. Therefore I did not think myself worthy to come to You. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to one, "Go." and he goes; and to another, "Come," and he comes; and to my servant, "Do this," and he does it."

Jesus marveled at the centurion's words!  The centurion had a greater understanding of faith than God's own people.  He recognized that Jesus' authority was greater than his own when he said, "I am not worthy.." He understood authority and how it worked. He even had the Jewish leaders doing his bidding.  He explained that he knew how to submit to it as well as implement it himself. But most of all he declared that he understood that if Jesus spoke it, it would happen!  He understood that as soon as Jesus spoke it was accomplished. "But say the word, and my servant will be healed."

FAITH IS KNOWING THAT, "AT HIS WORD" THINGS WILL HAPPEN!



No comments:

Post a Comment