Monday, April 8, 2013

"I Will Not Let Go"

...And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. And he said, "Let me go, for the day breaketh." And he said, "I will not let thee go, except thou bless me."  And he said unto him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." And he said, "Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed." .....And Jacob called the name of the place "Peniel:for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32:24-30


 God brought a song called "Stronger" by Tanner Clark across my path this week and it has really blessed me.  It brings to mind this life changing event in the life of Jacob. Why life changing? One reason!  He held on!  He declared in his heart and with his mouth "I will not let go except you bless me."  

You and I might think the hard part was behind him at this point. After all he had held on, hip and all, all night long!  He had to be tired and exhausted . He had been holding on, and holding on, and holding on...... etc.    But, I think the hardest part to holding on came next..."What is your name?"

He now was faced with a choice ... to answer or... to let go and walk away.  

He answered with one word, "Jacob." (supplanter, schemer, trickster, swindler) With that one word answer he revealed so much about himself. Why would this matter? Because Jacob knew what his name meant. He knew his past. He was asked his name so that he could move out of the shame associated with his past and into the blessings of his future. 

We need to understand that God knows our past and  He wants to bless our future.   As soon as Jacob confessed his name to Him he proceeded to give him his blessing.  He changed his name to Israel. (contender with God) and enabled him to walk into the blessings that God had promised him.

So, today's morsel : Hold on. Hold on. Hold on. Don't let go no matter what!  Even if it means a confession of where you've been or how your feeling!  Don't let the past rob you of the blessings He has for YOU! Don't forget...daybreaks coming!  Make the cry of your heart ..."I WILL NOT LET GO TILL ..."




No comments:

Post a Comment