Sunday, August 18, 2013

Waiting for Purpose, Even in Caves

In 1 Samuel 24 we see Saul pursuing David, to kill him. Now David and his men we sitting in the deep cave, and they realized they were not alone. Saul had wandered in there to relieve himself!

David's men started telling him to kill Saul, for surely this was God delivering Saul into his hand! But David wouldn't do it. He wouldn't strike down the Lord's anointed. He cut off a corner of Saul's robe, and immediately lamented such an action! Overcome, he ran out of the cave after Saul. His heartfelt speech and goodwill toward Saul, swayed Saul from evil-for a time. The bloodlust would eventually return...

For the time being, though, David and his men were safe. They returned to their stronghold home.

Later David wrote a psalm about this event, Psalm 57.

"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in You my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by. I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me. He will send from Heaven and save me; He will put to shame him who tramples on me. God will send out His steadfast love and His faithfulness! My soul is in the midst of lions; I lie down amid fiery beasts---the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords. Be exalted, O God, above the Heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth! They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my way, but they have fallen into it themselves. My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For Your steadfast love is great to the Heavens, Your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the Heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth!"

David knew God would fulfill His purpose for him. So even though his men wanted him to kill Saul, and maybe even a part of him wanted to do it, he knew that God, and God alone would bring him to the throne. Not a cowardly attack in a cave.

David felt like he was among beasts who wanted to kill him, and he was! However, he didn't let that get him down. He thanked God in advance, for taking down those who would do him harm, and ended this psalm praising God, for His love, faithfulness, and glory.

When there are beastly obstacles standing between you and your purpose, thank God. He will fulfill His purpose for you. He ordained it. He won't leave you among the lions. He will take down those who oppose you. Don't try to force it yourself. Just be still and know that God will fulfill your purpose.

---Joy





No comments:

Post a Comment