Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"He Simple Answered Back"

Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?"

And Balaam said to the donkey, "Because you have abused me. I wish there were a sword in my hand, for now I would kill you!"

So the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden, ever since I became yours, to this day? Was I ever disposed to do this to you?" And he said, No."

Then the Lord opened Balaam's eyes, and he say the Angel of the Lord standing in the way with His sword in His hand; and he bowed his head and fell flat on his face. Numbers 22:28-31

Can you believe this? A donkey spoke out loud and carried on a conversation with Balaam. The thing that strikes me is simply this. Balaam doesn't seem to notice. God doing something as miraculous as 'opening the mouth of a donkey' doesn't even seem to faze him. Is he so wrapped up in his own purpose and anger that he doesn't notice the donkey speaking? Or maybe he had grown so complacent about the miraculous things of God that something as amazing as a talking donkey is a normal everyday event? GOD gives the donkey a voice and Balaam's response is not awe, not amazement, not wonderment at such a thing. He simply answered it back telling it he wishes he a sword to kill it. He doesn't give any acknowledgement that he recognizes God in it until he sees the Angel of the Lord in front of him with his sword drawn.Only then does he hit the ground in awe.

In the next verse the Angel of the Lord tells him He has come because of "his perverse way." I wonder? Is his perverse way taking the things of God, what He says and what He does, for granted and being complacent about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment