Thursday, August 15, 2013

"The Parable Of The Kids Book"

Did you ever have a feeling there's a ZAMP in the LAMP? Or a NINK in the SINK? Or a WOSET in the CLOSET? Sometimes I'm quite CERTAIN there's a JERTAIN in the CURTAIN. And when I hear a TOCK, I know a ZLOCK"S behind the CLOCK. And that ZELF up on that SHELF! I have talked to her MYSELF. I like the ZABLE on the TABLE. And the GHAIR beneath the CHAIR. But the BOFA on the SOFA acts if he doesn't care. etc., etc, etc.

At this moment I know that some of you have figured out the author of the above rhymes, especially if you have little ones that you read to every night! You guessed it. Dr. Suess is the author and it comes from his book of ridiculous rhymes, "There's a Wocket in My Pocket." I've written the above to illustrate a point. It is my very own, just thought of parable. We'll call it, The Parable Of The Kids Book.

Does your little one have a favorite book that he/she likes to have read to him/her? The above is a favorite of the two toddlers in my life at the moment. When I say go get a book its the one that 9 times out of 10 they will come back with. So I have become quite familiar with it! Sometimes I just read it in my natural voice, sometimes I use funny voices, sometimes its in a rap style rhythm, sometimes I sing it, and sometimes I use the fill in the blanks method. You know the one where you leave off the last word and they fill it in. My point being, it is their favorite and it doesn't matter how often they hear it, they just like it! They like it - In part because I try to make each reading fun. In part because they like the pictures. In part because they are familiar with it. In part because they are having time with me!  I love their excitement each time they bring me their favorite book. They shove it at me and climb up as quickly as possible to settle in with me even though they've heard it so often they can tell me what comes next. Their pure enjoyment over the same old story amazes me and the word I get to hear when I've finished is always the same, "Again!"

So here comes those famous words that Jesus always speaks, "Gods like that." or rather in this case, "God's Word is like that!"  Sometimes it speaks to me with a big booming voice. Sometimes its a still small whisper, and sometimes it makes me laugh, and there are even occasions that it makes me cry, and believe it or not, sometimes He even lets me fill in the blanks. Jesus said that we should come to Him as little children. His Word should be the book we grab with excitement everyday! Its never boring and its never the same. Its alive and active and it always accomplishes something in our heart and attitudes!

If as His sons and daughters, we truly approach our daily time with Him and His Word with that same expectation and enjoyment that my toddlers do their favorite book then we will always have a similar response. He too will get to hear,  "Again." or maybe even, "More."

Here is a fill in the blank for you from your favorite book! Do you know what comes next?

Blessed is the man who walks not in the _______________ of the ungoldly, nor stands in the way of ________________, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful, But his _________________ is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment