Monday, August 19, 2013

"Highlights!"

Today I'd like to mention a few quick "Highlights" from Mark 6:45-52 that He showed me this morning. First a little background and then I'll show you the Highlights. It takes place right after the feeding of the five thousand. It says that Jesus sent the disciples in the boat to the other side, to Bethsaida, while He sent the multitude away. After He had that accomplished He went to the mountain to pray. Then when evening had come they were on the water and He was still on land alone.

It says that He says He saw the hard time they were having, "straining and rowing, for the wind was against them." and He came to them.(48)

It says that "when they saw Him walking on the sea they supposed it a ghost, and cried out; and were troubled."(49-50)

It says that He "immediately talked with them and said to them, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." (50)

It says that that when He entered the boat, "the wind ceased. And they were greatly amazed in themselves beyond measure, and marveled."(51)

It says that "they had not understood about the loaves, because their heart was hardened. (52)

Five little highlights all in a row, each saying the same thing to me, "Trust Me!" He sees my struggles! He sees even when He isn't physically in the boat with me. He sees my "straining" and He sees what is against me. When He comes to rescue me, I don't recognize it or rather Him! I, like the disciples, "suppose" the answer to be bad because I assume I know what I am seeing happen is something bad like a ghost when in reality it is His solution to my need. As soon as I do turn to Him and He is allowed to enter the boat the "wind ceases." At that point I too, like the disciples am amzed at His provision. That He loves me enough to join me in the boat.

At this point the finale highlight jumps into place. Why? Why does it jump back to the feeding of the 5000. It goes from them being amazed at His walking on water, the wind ceasing, and them marveling at the whole thing to, "For they had not understood about the loaves, because their heart was hardened. "I think it goes back to verse 42, "So they all ate and were filled." They had just been a part of when He made provision for a multitude with bread and fish! How quickly they forgot! How quickly I, like the disciples, forget to trust Him when the storm comes. How often does He have to highlight my hardened heart to me and remind me, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." before I truly trust Him with all my heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment