Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Wallow or Live?

"'Do not regard your servant as a worthless woman, for all along I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation.' Then Eli answered, 'Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition that you have made to him.' And she said, "Let your servant find favor in your eyes.' Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad. They rose early in the morning and worshiped before the Lord; then they went back to their house at Ramah. And Elkanah knew Hannah his wife, and the Lord remembered her. And in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Samuel, for she said, 'I have asked for him from the Lord.'" 1 Samuel 1:16-20

The Bible says that in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son. She had gone through some seriously miserable streaks while waiting. Hannah wanted a baby. Her heart had longed for a baby for a long time. She even promised God that the child would be His servant from youth. But it wasn't time yet.

We all have a longing, a heart's desire, but all the petitions in the world will not bring them to pass before it is God's time.

My Pastor spoke a little about Hannah this past Sunday, and he said that Hannah got up, ate, and went about her life.

It's been my experience that when I wallow about what I want, need, or desire, things just feel so much worse. When I give it into God's hands, and go on with life, things get better. And ironically, or not, it seems to become God's timing.

I'm not saying this because it sounds good. I have personally lived through seasons like this, and let me tell you, it's terribly hard! But I can honestly tell you that the heartache it takes getting there is overwhelmed by the joy of God's gift.

Whatever the journey my friends, don't be consumed by wallowing. Give it to God and live. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

---Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment