Saturday, May 2, 2015

Who is God in Your Life?

"Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding." Isaiah 40:28

We all know that we can't possibly understand God. Whatever we learn about Him, there is always something more to be found out. But, as we grow in faith, we begin to get a clearer picture of His ways. This picture is different for everyone. Some see the God who sent His son to die for us, some the Son who came and purchased our salvation. Others see the "Thou Shalt Not" God of the old Testament.

None of these points of view are necessary wrong, merely incomplete. He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8) and that, for a people who are changing constantly, seems easy to understand. But I don't think that we can truly comprehend this part of God, either. I mean, think about your life. The lessons that you learned best were probably something that you failed at first. I know that's where I usually had the most growth. But God NEVER had to do that - He has never failed.

People may wish to argue this point - what of the angels and fallen humanity? They didn't have to turn away from God. The Bible says that we are never tempted more than we can bear (I Corinthians 10:13). The failures of the angels? They knew God and chose to disobey. The failure of Adam and Eve? They knew God, they knew the one thing that they couldn't do, and they still gave into temptation. You and I? Well, do you stop and yell at God when you sin? No! We feel guilty because we gave in when we didn't have to. We never have to give into temptation. 

I have been a Christian for a long time. I grew up in it. In my mind, God is my Father, when I talk to Him, that is what I call Him. I still have my earthly father, who I love dearly. He is also my pastor. I have learned many things from him, about life, God, everything. But we are still human. We fight. Sometimes, despite being a great man of God, he can't see past the nose on his face. We also established that I am his son, I have the same stubborn problem that he has. We got into a fight this last week, and I was pretty mad, but this fight did cause me to relearn something that I had forgotten, or at least, had slipped my mind.

Despite the fact I look at my father and God in a very similar light, the light of fatherhood, I had altered my perception of God to fit my earthly father. I went to Him when I needed advice, when I didn't know what to do, when I needed money, just like I used to when I was growing up (at least, that's true for the money, I still talk to my dad when I need advice or don't know what to do). 

Friends, don't limit God in your life. He is Heavenly Father, your brother and friend (Jesus), and your constant companion, always with you (The Holy Spirit). He is all of these and more. Don't force Him into a box and let him only operate in one area of your life. He is so far beyond our comprehensions, its so awesome. 

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment