Saturday, April 25, 2015

Worldly Transformations

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

How much of your faith do you allow the regular world to see?  I mean, do your friends know how much your faith truly means to you? Do you even let them into that part of your life? Do they know what Jesus has done for you?

When I first entered the work field at the age of fifteen, I changed dramatically. Before then, I had always been private or home schooled, never spending much time around someone who wasn't saved, at least not in an unsupervised way. It was a culture shock. I was a hard worker, but lonely. People started taking an interest in me, they became my friends, and I didn't want to drive them away by coming across as a Bible thumper. So I stayed quiet, talked to them about their interests, and was intrigued by some of them.

It wasn't long before my integrity was compromised. Bad movies, foul language, resentment towards my parents for denying things to me. I entered a rebellious phase - although, it wasn't nearly as bad as some teenagers blatant hostility towards their parents.  Still, my heart wasn't the way it used to be - innocent.

Around that time, my youth group attended a Christian special meeting a couple hours away. I went, begrudgingly, and didn't enjoy myself. The speaker was a power man of God, and most definitely anointed, but I didn't pay attention. I was ashamed of who I had become. It's not that the speaker made me feel condemned, I knew that I was failing in my walk.

I walked away from God for a while after that. I didn't want to feel that way again. Even though I knew God would accept me if I came back, I didn't want to go back. I had failed Him. It took me a few years after that to go back to Him sincerely.

Don't walk away from your faith, even a little, for the sake of your friends. If they truly are your friends, they will accept you for what you are. You won't have to hide anything. Don't pack God away from your life, only to pull Him out at the holidays, or just on Sundays. Don't let yourself become like the world. Let God make you into the man or woman of faith that he intends you to be. And for those who have walked away, come back! God's love for you hasn't changed. You can still be His child.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment