Monday, December 8, 2014

"Take It Away"

I heard this song today as I was driving and It made me think! It made me think because it reminded me of the time John the Baptist told his disciples, "He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30 in response to their complaints that more of the people were now coming to Jesus then to John. John's heart was to surrender the spotlight and that Jesus would take center stage because he understood that it was what was necessary.

It made me think because it reminds me of the time in the garden where Jesus is saying to the Father in the garden of Gethsemane, "Father, if it is Your will, remove this cup from Me, nevertheless not My will, but Yours be done." Luke 22:42 Jesus spoke these words because He was surrendered to the Father's will in all things...including His death and what was to come next.

It made me think about all the times when Jesus was telling the disciples about the coming of the Holy Spirit. "And I pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." John 14:16-17  "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to remembrance all things that I said to you. John 14:26  "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify." John 15:26 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away; the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. John 16:7 Jesus says all these things to the disciples about the Holy Spirit because He is preparing them for the fact that the Holy Spirit will be leading, guiding, teaching, instructing, and empowering them in them days ahead.

Jesus told His disciples all about the coming of the Holy Spirit because He was preparing them to surrender to the Spirit's leading. He was preparing them to surrender to the Holy Spirit because He knew that the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead was the One who would be taking over for Him in the earth. Why? Because He was about to leave and go and sit at the Father's right hand.

And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Acts 1:4-5 We know that the disciple's understood and obeyed. They surrendered and were baptized in the Holy Spirit and followed His leading for the rest of their lives. Read the Book of Acts and watch for Him. You'll see!

Hearing this song today made me think! It reminded me to surrender to Helper that the Father has sent. It  reminded me to take time today to say to the Holy Spirit, "I surrender.  Take it away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment