Saturday, March 23, 2013

Blessings over dinner


In Genesis 27 we have the famous story of Jacob stealing Esau's blessing.

I've never really viewed Esau as a victim, but God showed me a new angle to this story.

When Esau finds out that his father, Issac, has given the blessing to Jacob instead of him, the Bible says, "he cried out with an exceedingly great and bitter cry." He begged his father, "Bless me, even me also, Oh my father!........Have you not reserved a blessing for me?"

It hit me, BLESSINGS MEANT SOMETHING THEN!

They WERE a BIG deal!

It wasn't something that people said after someone sneezed just because it was polite. It wasn't something families quickly said around the dinner table before stuffing their faces.

Blessings held meaning in those days.

When you were blessed, that blessing was gonna happen.

When you were blessed, great things were coming.

When you were blessed, God Himself was involved.

Make no mistake, blessings were not polite, social protocols.

Blessings were blessings.

Question: If you've spoken a blessing today, was it more then just words?

Let's make blessings real again.

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment