Thursday, June 12, 2014

Facing the Giant, Part 2

Jesse stared outside the window, and sighed. It had been over forty days since his sons had left. He hadn't heard from them. He didn't know if they were gaining victory over the Philistines, or if perhaps the Philistines had already won. In the mornings, he stared out the window, midday he would talk to other families in the town to see if they had heard from their loved ones who had gone to war, and at night, he would pace back and forth praying to Yahweh. He couldn't wait much longer.

In fact, today he wouldn't wait any longer. He needed to do something.

He strode out of the house with purpose. The evening air greeted him with a chilly hug, but he ignored it. Going into the barn, he started rummaging through the equipment. He pulled out several satchels. Then he marched back into the house.

Tossing the lids off of pots he took inventory of what he could send. Grain...bread...he should send something for the commander of their thousand, too. He peaked into another jar. Cheese would be perfect!

He packed the grain, bread, and cheese into several bags. Now, who to send?

Jesse didn't think about it for long. He knew just who to send.

He went back outside, figuring he'd find him out here watching over the sheep. He spotted him, sitting on a rock. His back was to Jesse, and he was playing a little harp he had made himself. "David."

The young man turned to him. His eyes lit up. "Any word from the battle ground?"

"No." The simple word deflated the young man. He had wanted to go fight in the army for the Lord, but Jesse needed him here, to help him. Now, he would get his chance to at least see the battle and his brothers. "I am sending you to your brothers. I have packed some provisions for you to take to them, as well as a gift for their commander. Find out how they are doing, and bring back word to me. I need you to leave at dawn."

David jumped up from the rock, eager and excited. "I will, Father. I will do all that you have said."

Jesse smiled at him. His youngest had grown into an enthusiastic young man. He had no doubt his son would do all that he could to help his brothers.

Based on 1 Samuel 17:12-20

Why would I write about Jesse sending David with provisions for his brothers, and a gift for their leader? Because in those few verses, I saw a father sending his son with provisions for his other sons.

Jesse hadn't heard from his children for a few weeks. Verse 16 says that Goliath made his stand every morning and evening for forty days. So being anxious, Jesse sent David. He wanted to know how they were doing. He wanted to make sure they were all right. He wanted to give them stuff that would help, and he wanted some kind of token from them. He loved his kids.

Do you see a parallel here? God did and continues to do the very same thing. God sent His son, with provision and help for us. Now we have the gift of salvation. Now we can freely and directly communicate with God, and His provision didn't end there. After Jesus went back to the Father, the Holy Spirit came. Now the Holy Spirit is giving us gifts, tongues for communicating, and help when we need it.

Jesse's three oldest sons were at a battle ground being faced with a giant. Everything else, their father, David, and any help or provision from them must have felt so far away and useless. Have you ever felt like that? I know I can certainly relate to feeling like I'm living on the battle ground, like the situations in my life are at war around me, and the giant looks down at me, laughing in victory. I've been there.

Those are the moments you and I need to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is sending us provisions. Sometimes I have know that, and sometimes I lost sight of His provision.

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

No matter what war you are going through, and no matter what giant is waiting in the valley for you, you need to always remember that the Lord is sending help. Don't ever lose sight of that precious fact.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

God has not left you in that battle field.

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am you God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

God is with you, you warriors of faith!

"I lift my eyes to the hills. For where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who make heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

Look over those mountains and giants, because your help is coming from God!

Amen!

V. Joy Palmer


Check out http://snackpackdevotionsforkidz.blogspot.com

Following us on Facebook  or Twitter options are now available!

No comments:

Post a Comment