Sunday, February 2, 2014

The "Crazy One" Who Does God's Work

Then I said, "Ah, Lord God! They are saying of me, 'Is he not a maker of parables?'" Ezekiel 20:49

"Look, it's crazy, old Ezekiel again."

"What's he doing this time?" We were on our way to work, but at the sight we stopped to watch. Ezekiel was trying to dig through the wall! "Will he get in trouble for that?"

"I don't think anyone even cares what he does anymore. The guy is sprouting off doom and gloom, claiming he is some prophet of God. If he was a prophet of God, then why is he the only one saying this stuff? The other prophets are preaching peace and prosperity." My buddy huffed.

A crowd of mocking spectators was starting to form. An older man spoke up, "This morning I saw him bring luggage out of his house. I asked him were he was going, and he said it was exile luggage. He claims it's a message from God."

I laughed. "So, now we are going into exile?" Shaking my head, I dropped to the ground. "I think I'm going to watch. This is much more entertaining then work!"

My buddy shrugged his shoulders and left. Propping my chin on my fist, I studied the man we called deranged. For the most part, he ignored us. But occasionally, he would look up. His held pity, his pursed lips told of frustration, and the shake of his head told of deep sadness. He dug through the wall, and at dusk, he hoisted his luggage onto his shoulder, and carried it out.

The next morning, the crowd waited outside of his house. We laughed, yelped, and threw small stones at door while we waited. At last, he came out. For a long moment, he just looked at us, with that sad look. "The Lord hoped you would understand...I am a sign for you. As I have done, so shall it be done to you. You shall go into exile. Into captivity."

The crowd roared. This fool and his foolish stories were a hoot! We laughed about this tale for quite some time.

But the crazy old man was right. Because here I sit, so far from home. Broken. Alone. Everything I had, everyone I love, is gone. The thing that keeps going through my head, the thing that plagues me the most is: what would have happened to me, if I had listened to him?

(Story is based on  Ezekiel 12:1-11)

Ezekiel was a prophet to God's people. And they mocked him. We all claim to be Christians, but do we behave like God's people did then? Ezekiel had some rough days, here on this earth, but the place of esteem and honor he must have with God now that would be worth it.

"Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?" Ezekiel 18:23

Ezekiel put up with all this junk because God wanted as many people saved as possible. Isn't that the same today? As His people, we should be the crazy ones, telling people about Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Do we want to be the person saying, "He was right! The nut was right!" Or do we want to be the nut who is speaking what God is saying?

No comments:

Post a Comment