Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Oxygen Mask

"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statures and be careful to obey my rules." Ezekiel 36:26-27

There's a sickening crunch under my feet. I think I just crushed a femur.

"Can these bones live?" the Lord asked.

A valley of dry, dead, dusty bone. My first instinct is, "No!" However, my Lord has a way of surprising me. "You know, Lord God."

"Prophesy to the bones. I will put muscles, flesh, and skin on them.  I will cause breath to enter them, and they will live."

I started speaking to the bones, declaring His word. At first all was quiet, so I kept speaking God's command to the dry bones. It was faint at first, like a stampede in the distance, but the more I spoke, the louder the noise became. It reached a crescendo, a rattling, an earthquake. I watched in awe as each bone connected with another bone, forming an army of skeletons. Then layers of organs, muscle, fat, blood vessels, and skin formed on each dry skeleton. They were no longer without form. They were a body.

But the bodies remained still.

"Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and tell the breath to come from the four winds. Breathe on these slain, that they may live," the Almighty God said.

So, I prophesied as He commanded me. The breath rushed into them. It filled them. Their chest started moving, color came to their cheeks, and one by one, they stood up. The breath gave them life. The valley of dry bones was gone. In its place was a living, breathing, fierce army of God.

Based on Ezekiel 37:1-10

Please jump back with me to Genesis 2:7, "Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."

Adam was just an impressive pile of dirt until God breathed His breath of life into Adam's nostrils.
Then, he lived. Same thing for the army in Ezekiel. They were dry bones, then bodies, and once the breath of life entered them, they were alive. They lived only after receiving the breath of life from God.

Same goes for us spiritually.

It doesn't matter how many muscles of Christianity someone has. Without God's Spirit in them, they are dry bones. You need God's breath of life guiding you, forming you, and revealing to you. It inspires us, and helps us see a spiritual truth with amazing hues of color that we've never seen before. It will nudge or slap in the face depending on what's needed. It gives us joy and laughter. Most importantly, it gives us life.

In order to live, you need a Breath of Life. Are you living? If we need to ask that, then we need to get a spiritual oxygen mask on right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment