Friday, February 21, 2014

"Fingerprint Moments"

You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. Psalm 139: 5-6

I have a word written in my Bible next to this verse. That word is, fingerprints. You might ask, "Why?" Why would I write the word fingerprints here. The reason is simple. Its a reminder! A reminder that I matter to Him! This verse has in it this statement, 'And laid Your hand upon me.' If you lay your hand upon something, then you also leave something behind. A fingerprint. Its not always visible to the naked eye but it is there just the same. If you want to, you can dust for them and then they become visible.

All of Psalm 139 is about God knowing us intimately. He knows what we are doing and thinking. For example in verse 2 its says, "You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off." He knows us, loves us, and plans for us! Again, a perfect example is found in verse 16 ..."Your eyes saw my substance, yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them." In verse 1 it says, "O Lord, You searched me and know." and I guess that's my point! He loves us and He knows us to the point that His fingerprints are all over our lives. If you take the time to look you'll be able to see and recognize them.

Here is an example of a fingerprint moment in the life of Moses. Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush burned with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn." So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." Exodus 3:1-5

This is a fingerprint moment in the life of Moses. God knew exactly were Moses was and what it would take to get his attention. A bush that burns without burning! He could have just appeared to him like He did with others but He didn't. He used a burning bush that caused Moses to make a conscious choice to go investigate, 'How could this be possible?' It was in that moment of choice that God spoke and made Himself known. It was in that moment that He proved Himself Holy and declared Himself as the great 'I Am.' This is were He makes it clear to Moses that He has been with him all along, that He knows him, has seen what he has been through, and declares to him that He will continue to be with him in the days and events ahead.

God's fingerprints are all over the life of Moses from the moment he was born and kept alive by midwives that feared God (Ex. 1:17) to his mother putting him in a basket to be found by Pharaoh's daughter. (Ex. 1:5) He allowed him to be nursed by his own mother (Ex. 1:8) and raised in the royal household as Pharaoh's daughters son.(Ex. 1:10) He was also given the name Moses which means; 'one who draws out' because he was drawn out of the water. His name, a fingerprint from heaven, after all what did God plan for him? That he would draw out and deliver from bondage a people belonging to God. Fingerprints, unseen at the time, but there nonetheless!

For Moses it was a burning bush, that burned without burning, with me it was a song, with you? God knows what will lead us to Him. His fingerprints are all over the events of our lives and they will always bring us to the place of His presence. The place of getting to know Him back.

I hope you take the time to read Psalm 139 today as it will help you to start dusting for His fingerprints in your life! You will find them even if they weren't visible at the time.  O, and don't forget to keep an eye out for them today and all your tomorrows!

No comments:

Post a Comment