Thursday, February 6, 2014

Free to Twirl (Or Leap)

I couldn't believe my eyes. It was finally here. The Ark was really here, in Jerusalem. It looked beautiful. Incredible. Majestic. In the years that passed, the gold hadn't tarnished at all. Really and truly, it radiated holiness.

The Ark would be brought through the city, by the palace, and into a tent King David had had pitched especially for the Ark. I was squeezed into a crowd of excited on-lookers, all straining for a peak of the Ark. They were headed this way. The pole-bearers walked carefully. While their expressions looked as excited as we felt, their eyes were somber, knowing full well the significance of what they were carrying. King David rode behind them. He was practically bouncing on the horse, he was so excited.

I'm not sure when it started, but somewhere in the crowd, someone started playing the tambourine. People on either side of the street started clapping their hands and stomping their feet. Young men and maidens began to sing songs of praise, while the elder generations loudly proclaimed their thanks to Yahweh. King David slowed his stallion to a halt. He leaped down, and joined in the praise. He leaped and danced with all his might. Little children ran out to join him, before their petrified mothers could stop them.

I clapped my hands above my head, singing loudly. I threw my head back, laughing with joy. A figure in a window caught my eye. Why, it was Queen Michal! She looked angry. Everyone out here was rejoicing, laughing, and praising God. Queen Michal stood by herself in front of that window. Alone. Looking trapped in a prison.

King David looked free. Free to praise his God in any way he saw fit. He did not care that he was dancing like a fool before his kingdom. He cared about none of it. Just that he was dancing before his God. Truthfully, I think the people would respect him more for it.

 With a shout of my own, I twirled to the beat of praise.

Based on 2 Samuel 6:16-22

"For freedom Christ has set us free, stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

Christ has set us free. That is a reason to dance and sing praises to God. There is nothing more freeing then knowing the reason you are dancing, twirling, and doing jumping jacks like a fool. The reason is because you are free. The people who are on the sidelines are trapped. Stuck in their own prisons. The Queen Michal's of the world will try to tell you that you look foolish. So what? You know you are dancing before your God Who freed you, Who picked you.

"Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre!" Psalm 149:3

I know I am free to twirl in unashamed wonder before my God. Are you? (Dudes out there, you don't have to twirl. You can leap.)

No comments:

Post a Comment