Saturday, February 6, 2016

"Raining Bread From Heaven"

   Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: They neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
   Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more cloth you, O you of little faith?
   Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?'' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'
   For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
   But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:28-33

A few days ago I shared a message with you about 'Manna' and the need to collect a daily portion. Since then I have had a verse and especially a phrase that has been stuck with me. It is Exodus 16:4 ...Then the Lord said to Moses, "Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you. And the people shall go out and gather a certain quota every day, that I might test them, whether they will walk in my law or not" The idea that He told them what He was about to do and the fact that that thing was going to be raining  bread from heaven has been a thought that seems to hanging out in my spirit. He told them! He told them that He was about to rain bread from heaven. He told them that He was also testing them to see if they would Heed His words about this amazing event! He told them that they 'would eat meat at twilight and in the morning they would be filled with bread. And that they would know that He was the Lord their God because of it.' Exodus 16:12 He told them and they still ran around exclaiming, "What is it?" When morning came and He had truly done what He had said He would! He had told them He was paying close attention to see if they would heed His instructions. And yet some didn't! Some tried to store up extra causing a stench and worms. Some didn't and they tried to gather on the day of rest and found none available. Some didn't listen! He had laid it all out so clearly for them and yet ...

So why is His phrase, "Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you." Stuck in my spirit? Because ... sometimes I tend to worry about things. Sometimes I forget to keep my eyes on Him and I look at the circumstances instead. Sometimes my focus is on that last dollar in my pocket ... BUT THE TRUTH IS He laid it all out for us as well? Hasn't He, like with His promise to "rain bread from heaven" in the days of old, also promised to "add all these things" if we will but seek Him first in all these things. It's a pretty simple plan really. Look to Him and He meets our needs. Will we/will I trust Him? Will I obediently seek Him every day or will I be 'one of little faith?' Will I seek Him obediently as my provider or will I come up with my own plan like those who tried to store up extra? Will I be looking for provision in the wrong place and wrong time when He already provided what was needed like those that hadn't heeded His instruction about gathering for the day of rest?

Why is His Promise to rain bread from heaven stuck in my spirit?  Because ... the question remains ... Will I choose to trust Him to sustain me, to cloth me in His righteousness, His glory, or will I strive in my own strength? Will I trust Him to meet all my needs ... even if it means He has to rain bread from heaven? Will you?

I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment