Tuesday, September 8, 2015

For Family

What should he do? He stared vacantly out his window. The sweet scent of figs danced around his nose in a rhythm similar to the dance his dilemma performed. His gaze swept the lands outside his window, but the fertile, green fields held no answers.

Yesterday he had a very disturbing conversation with a new follower of Christ.

This man and his family were starving.

The father of the family worked hard, and his older children did all that they could to help provide, but there were just too many mouths to feed.

But he felt this tugging on his heart, urging him to do something to help them. Truthfully, so many new believers were suffering from the same problems as this family. How was he supposed to help them though? What was he supposed to do?

He wished he could feed and care for them himself, but he didn't have the money.

He stared at the land.

Land he didn't really use...

Land that could bring in a nice profit.

Land that he could sell! Then he could bring the money to the apostles, and tell them about the need he felt to help his family in Christ! They could to distribute it to as many families as possible!

He leapt up from his seat in front of the window. It wasn't much, but it was a start. And it was something he could do to help.

Based on Acts 4:34-35

"There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need." Acts 4:34-35

The people didn't give like this to impress the apostles or God. They didn't give all they had in order to be praised. They gave because that's what you do for family.

In my family, if a family member needs help, you do whatever you have to to help them. Period. When my mom moved my siblings and I away from my abusive father, my grandparents took us into their home. When my husband and I got married, my in-laws gave us a place to live. When I was taken out of work due to complications with my pregnancy, my mom has continued to help with the things my income had previously covered.

The people did this because they cared about the well-being of their family, and they were doing what needed to be done to help their family. Their spiritual, Christian family.

So when I read this passage, I have to ask myself this question: Am I doing all I can to help care for the well-being of my spiritual, Christian family?

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4

"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35

For these people, their concern was making sure that their family was taken care of, and that they didn't have any needs left wanting. Are we doing all we can to care for our family?

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment