Saturday, September 12, 2015

"By Rote ... Or?"

Psalm 23:1

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

I love that this verse is such a bold declaration of faith by David. I say that because I tend to think that we, as believers, quite often take this statement for granted. Think about it. We can all quote the 23rd Psalm without thinking and without hesitation. It just comes flowing out by rote. Believers and nonbelievers alike can recite it, but ...

The but ... here is this, do we really know and understand that they are not just the words we spew by rote but that they should be the words that we declare because they overflow from the depths of our heart. David knew. He was a shepherd boy and he knew exactly what it was that he was declaring when he declared, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." He knew exactly what He was declaring because he knew what the role of shepherd entailed. He knew that he would keep and care for his sheep in the natural, even to the point of laying down his life to protect them if necessary. (For example taking on a lion or bear)

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want." Bold words. A strong declaration! Words that overflowed from the heart of a man who used them to declare his trust in the Lord as His guide, protector, and constant companion. They are the words David used to say, "You are my 'Good Shepherd' and I know your voice."

"... and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and less them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice." John 10:3-4

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want." 

Everyday common words we speak by rote ... or the declaration of who the Good Shepherd is in our lives?


No comments:

Post a Comment