Saturday, July 25, 2015

"In His Moment Of Knowing"

   Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself.
   After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
   Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, "Lord, are You washing my feet?"
   Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."
   Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part in Me."
   Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.!"
   Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
   For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, "You are not all clean."
   So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
   You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.
   If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
   For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
   Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he  who sent him.
   If you know these things, happy are you if you do them." John 13:3-17

Jesus makes the choice, as one of the last lessons with His disciples, to take action and portray this dramatic foot-washing scene. Along with teaching them about sin, forgiveness, and being clean spiritually He was also giving them an example of humility and their need as His disciple to be servants the same manner that He was to them. The thing that jumps out at me today is His statement, "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." His example, here in this instance, is that He humbled himself and took on the role of the lowest servant and ...washed their feet.

That being said here comes today's main point ... He didn't just wash the feet of  John, 'the disciple whom Jesus loved.' John 21:20 He didn't just wash the feet of  Simon Peter, the disciple whom He had said, "on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18 Jesus, in this moment of  'knowing' what was about to happen chose to wash all their feet. All their feet! In this moment of humility He even washed the feet of the one who was about to betray Him. He knew what Judas was about to do and He still humbled Himself for Judas as well. In this moment of 'knowing He even chose to serve the one who was about to sell Him out as part of His 'example' for His followers.

 "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he  who sent him."

I wonder? Do we, His servants, follow His example? Are we humble servants to our brother's and sisters in the Lord? Are we humble servants to those who betray us or spitefully use us?

"If you know these things, happy are you if you do them." John 13:3-17

No comments:

Post a Comment