Saturday, March 14, 2015

Yelling at God

"Can anything ever separate us us from Christ's love? Does it mean He no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?"
Romans 8:35

You ever have one of those days? One of those days where things just keep coming and it feels like the world is kicking while you are down. You know the expression - when it rains, it pours.

Do you ever get angry with God about days like those? What about something that happened that day? You ever just stop, look up at the sky, and yell "WHY!?!?!? God, what did I do to deserve this?!?"

I, much to my great disappoint, have. I have had my "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" moment. I literally said those words, and now, I am ashamed that I did. To say THOSE words for what, at the time, seemed like the worst thing that ever happened to me was the very height of hubris in my life.

Why, when bad things happen to us, do we turn on God? We should know better. Do we really believe, that despite all the things that the Bible says to the contrary, that when you serve God, things are easy? Look at Job, Elijah, David, the Apostles, and even Jesus. Were things easy for them?

Job lost everything. Elijah was being hunted and thought that he was the last of God's faithful. David was forced to run from King Saul, lost a beloved child, and was forced to run again - from his own son. The Apostles were all executed, save one, and they tried to kill him, too. Jesus, the very Son of God, was hated, persecuted, beaten, tortured, killed, and SEPARATED FROM GOD.

Compared to those problems, how small are our problems? And we still get angry and frustrated with God? I have heard it said that its OK to get mad at God, as long as you go talk to Him and get it sorted out. But do we really need to think that God is doing this to us?

Then a hand touched me and roused me to get up on my hands and knees, "Daniel, a much loved man," He said to me, "pay attention to what I'm telling you and stand  up straight because I have now been sent to you." When he said this to me, I stood trembling. "Don't be afraid, Daniel," He told me. "From the first day when you made up your mind to understand, humbling yourself before your God, what you said was heard, and I have come because you spoke. The prince of the Persian kingdom opposed me twenty-one days, but then Michael, one of the leading princes, came to help me, and I have left him to oppose the kings of Persia and have come to help you understand what will happen..." Daniel 11:10-14a

There is opposition in this world right now, same as there was in Daniel's time. Bad things do happen to good Christians. The stronger the Christian you are, the more opposition will come against you. Don't blame God for you earthly woes. He loves you, He doesn't persecute you. Don't make that mistake. Give your purposes, your goals to Him, and don't be frustrated if they don't happen in your own timeframe. He will hold onto them, or He will replace them with something even better.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment