Saturday, February 7, 2015

Be Generous

"Don't love money, be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." So we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6

With tax season upon us, these are important words to remember. Some of us aren't getting a tax refund from the government this year and might even have to pay in this year, some of us are getting a moderate amount back, and, of course, some are getting a lot back.  But regardless of your personal situation, we can still take what the Bible says to heart.

See, in my wife's and my situation, we could easily look at that money and say, "Well, that's our next heating bill." Living in the north country definitely has its downfalls, but I'm not going to sit here worrying about our bills.

Something that my Pastor/father drilled into me for years was that, regardless of your situation, the first thing that you do is set that 10% tithe money aside. God won't let you fail if you do that.

"Bring all the tithes into the storehouses so there will be enough food my my Temple. If you do,"says the Lord of Heaven's Armies, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!" Malachi 3:10

That doesn't mean that you get to be stupid with the rest of your money. You still need to pay your bills. But when your money doesn't quite stretch to cover your bills, that's when God works a little miracle in your favor, and problem solved. I have had this happen to me several times. Maybe the bills were a little smaller than expected, or the money in my account seemed not to run out until the bills were paid.

So, this year, don't forget to be generous with your money. And I'm not talking about the tithe, that money is rightfully God's and it doesn't count as giving. So, find somewhere that needs the money, a good charity or maybe a freewill offering to a church. Maybe sponsor one of the thousands of kids in need.

"Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full - pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38

"Remember this: If you sow little, you won't harvest much grain. But if you sow generously, you will harvest much grain. Everyone should do what he has made up his mind to do, not with regret or being forced, because God loves anyone who gives gladly." 2 Corinthians 9:6

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment