Wednesday, April 2, 2014

For His Glory!

"Out of the way!"

A man shoved past me. "Sorry!" He yelled as he kept on running. I was heading to see John. John the Baptist.

I had been coming to hear John preach for months. I would get up early to tend to my duties, trade things at the market, then I'd go home, kiss the family good-bye, and come out here to hear John's message. Later, I'd trudge home in the wee hours of the morning, tell my family all that I'd learned, sleep, and start the process all over again.

It was a good system.

I caught up to the group surrounding John. The man that had pushed past me was waving his arms and talking fast. He almost looked angry. I quickened my pace so I could get in hearing distance.

"Rabbi, that man is baptizing people across the Jordan-the man to whom you bore witness! And all the people are going to him now!"

John smiled. "Good."

The crowd gasped. "What?" People shouted in surprise.

"Good. A person can't receive even one thing, unless it is given to him from Heaven, from God. You all heard me say time and again, that I was not the Messiah. Rather, I was sent before him, to prepare the way." He looks at all of us, and his smile gets even bigger. "A bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. I am the friend of the bridegroom. My joy is complete."

Everyone just stares at him in dumb shock like a bunch of sheep.

John shakes his a little. "He must increase," he waves his left hand towards the Jordan River, "But I must decrease."

I tilt my head a little. I think I understand what John is saying. He actually looks me in the eye. I hold his gaze and nod at him.

We belong to Jesus.

The Messiah.

Based on John 3:25-30

This man comes running up to John, freaking out because this other guy (Ahem, Jesus) was baptizing people, with the underlying tone of, "Teacher, Teacher. The guy you bore witness to is stealing your followers."

John's response: "And your point is?"

John knew that Jesus was the Savior, the Son of God, the Messiah. He knew that Jesus had been given the power and authority of Heaven. He reminds his followers that they always knew he wasn't the Messiah, but that he had been sent to prepare the people for Jesus.

Then he says something really incredible in verses 29 and 30: "The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. He must increase, but I must decrease."

He's saying, "I was just Jesus' Best Man. He is the Groom. His Bride is going to Him, and that's great! I'm so happy. Now, it's time for me to take a step back because the most important person in the Bride's life, is the Groom. She needs more of Him. My job is done."

He wasn't worried or tweaked out at all. He was happy! This was the point all along. John's number one goal in life, his purpose, was to prepare the way for others to know Jesus.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Matthew 28:19

"And he said to them, 'Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." Mark 16:15

We all have different calls on our lives, and one that's the same. We have been given a Great Commission. A call very similar unto John the Baptists. We are preparing the people for Jesus' second coming.

Is God increasing in your life? Is He increasing in the lives of those around you? How are we preparing the way?

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

All for the glory of God. That was John's secret. That was how he didn't become puffed up with self-righteousness, and how he was able to boldly declare God's Word to the people. Take that truth into your hearts and remember, "I am always doing this for God."

Those words are our battle cry. They are our personal reprimand. They are the strength in our weakness. The are a promise of what is to come. Remember, all for the glory of God, and you can face anything, do anything, and be what God has called you.

Will you do it all for the glory of God?

Pick up your sword, and prepare the way, my friends!


 Check out http://snackpackdevotionsforkidz.blogspot.com/

Following us on Facebook  or Twitter options are now available!









No comments:

Post a Comment