Saturday, March 29, 2014

You are the One

Jeremiah trudged home. He had gone into the market to sell and trade. With a sigh, he ran his rough hand through his hair. It was the same thing, day after day.

"Jeremiah."

He whipped around, thinking he had heard someone. There was no one there. Eyes alert, hands opened and ready to defend, he took two tentative steps in the directions of the voice.

"Jeremiah." The voice came from behind him again. He whirled around, and but there was still no one there.

He felt something though...a presence. A Holy Presence... Could it be?

Jehovah. His God. The God of his people, Israel.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." The words flowed to him, around him. If one could see a presence without physically seeing it, Jeremiah was supernaturally seeing it. The Lord was there.

But a prophet? Who was he, that Jehovah would ordain him a prophet? He was no one. The very idea was terrifying.

He cried out, "Ah Lord! Lord!" For a moment, Jeremiah just reveled in Him, and then he continued. "I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth."

"Do not say, 'I am only a youth.' For to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you."

Then Jeremiah saw it. A hand. Coming straight towards him! I'm seeing Jehovah's hand! He wondered if the idea of a disembodied hand should terrify him more. All he felt was peace. The glorious hand touched his mouth, and Jehovah spoke to him again, "Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant."

Behold, his destiny. Jeremiah dropped to his knees. A prophet. A prophet of the Lord. He thumped his fist against his chest, and screamed. "Who am I?" The Lord's words washed over him again, strengthening him. Jehovah knew him. Consecrated him. Appointed him a prophet, and set him over nations and kingdoms.

Wow.

Based on Jeremiah 1:4-10

Do you ever have those, "Who am I?" moments? Those moments where you feel like one of the thousands, so what's so special about you?

What if you were Jeremiah, just going about your business, day by day, and God showed up. "You're a prophet, dude."

"Uh, no I'm not. I can't; I'm just too _________."

Too what?

"But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel; 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine." Isaiah 43:1

I have news for you. You are not one of the thousands. You are the one. The one.

"So he told them this parable: 'What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders rejoicing." Luke 15:3-5

"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

"Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him." Isaiah 30:18

You are the one He saved. You are the one He loves. You are the one He has given grace.

And you are the one He has called.

"Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, the gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues."  1 Corinthians 12:27-28

And God has appointed you.

Like it says in Jeremiah 29:11, God has a plan for you, plans for a hope and a future. When those moments of doubt, and those lingering thoughts of "Who am I? I'm nothing." come, remember the truth. Those things come to beat you down, and steal your faith. So fight back. You are the one. You are beloved and called and ordained. No one can take that from you.





Check out http://snackpackdevotionsforkidz.blogspot.com/


3 comments:

  1. This was right on time. We all have these feelings. While I know it's a great virtue to be humble, there should also be a time for boldness when we recognize that we are doing anything according to His will.
    Good read. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Father that you are my strength and that you always confrim your word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Thanks for the encouragement everyone! -Joy

    ReplyDelete