Wednesday, March 5, 2014

"Clicker Thing?"

... for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement. For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned. Matthew 12:34-37

You know that scene in Daniel where the hand shows up and starts writing on the wall? It says that ...the king's countenance changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his hips were loosed and his knees knocked against each other. Daniel 5:6 He didn't know what the words meant until a little later when Daniel gave the interpretation but he knew he was in trouble. I feel like this word has an element of that sense of conviction. At least for me it did. So, before we get to the meat of this word I would like to stop and offer up a quick prayer. You may want to join me!

Lord, I just really feel the need to stop for a minute and say thanks! Thanks for the price you paid! Thanks for giving us the gift of repentance! Without it LORD I'd be feeling like that king, scared, frantic, and alone and instead I can come before you and offer up a heart full of praise and thankfulness. Lord, even now my heart is full of gratitude, not just for the conviction that this word has brought to me because of the times I've failed to speak life, but for your forgiveness and grace that the words, "I'm sorry, Lord!" have brought to my heart.

A few days ago I heard the song, "Speak Life" by Toby Mac. I didn't just hear the song but watched the video that went with it. It starts with a little boy being made fun of and then it has him laying in a chalk line like they use for dead bodies at a crime scene. The song goes on like that with different people and scenarios. The words 'speak life' have gotten in my spirit and as I have been pondering them the Lord brought the above reference to mind. I looked up the word idle. It means: inactive, i.e. unemployed; (by impl.) lazy, useless :-barren, idle, slow. This is where I got that sense of conviction. That knowing that not all my words are active and employed by furthering the kingdom. This verse implies that its not enough to just not say mean things to people but that our words should be useful and active ones. I had a job once where I did a lot of walking so I bought a pedometer because I was curious about how many steps I took in a day and,so I had this thought? I began to wonder, what if? What if I had clicker thing and counted every word that I spoke in a day. How would I do? Conviction and praise God, repentance soon followed.

Too often we are ready to talk for talking sake. We say things like, "Did you hear the one about..." or "Did you hear about so and so? They did such and such."  How many idle conversations do we have in a day. You know the ones. Those are idle useless words. Not necessary to furthering the kingdom. As His people we need to spend more time on words like, "Did you hear about The One who cleansed the leper, raised the dead, gave sight to the blind and healed lame." Did you hear about The One who stopped the sun and the moon in order to help His servant." "Did you hear about The One who was raised from the dead?" "Did you hear about the One who came as a mighty rushing wind? " etc... Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.....good treasure! According to these words Jesus considered our good treasure to be words that we speak and I'm pretty sure He meant the words that are actively employed and useful in furthering the kingdom!

What kind of treasure are we imparting to those around us? How would you do if you had a clicker thing?

Link: to "Speak Life" if your interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBv9r92VQ0&feature=share

No comments:

Post a Comment