Friday, March 7, 2014

"Abundance Of His Heart"

You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel I anointed you king... And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more! Why have you despised the commandment of the lord, to do evil in His sight?..."  2 Samuel 12:7-9

These words were spoken to David by Nathan the prophet after David had killed Uriah the Hittite in order to cover his sin with Bathsheba and I don't know what you see, what you feel as you read these words, but what I see and feel at this very moment is the heart of the Father. I see a heart that feels pain, a heart that grieves when we don't trust Him, when we don't look to Him! ... "And if that had been too little, I also would have given you so much more..."

Even though Uriah was a Hittite he must have known and worshiped God. According to the Strong's his name meant; flame of God. David killed Uriah because as James 1:14-15 puts it; he was tempted and drawn away by his own desire and enticed. Desire was conceived and gave birth to sin; sin when it was full-grown brought death. Believe it or not but today's message isn't about David's sin its about God's heart.

Jesus said, and I know I keep coming back to this, but Jesus said, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks"...And the thought that I had was this. Doesn't that apply to our Heavenly Father as well? Out of the abundance of His heart, doesn't he speak? I heard someone say this week that He used the words, "Fear not!" 365 times throughout the Bible. The opposite of fear is trust. Every time you see someone using the words, "Don't be afraid." in a movie, the words, "Trust Me" aren't far behind. Every time you see the words, "Fear not" in the word, look closely and you'll see the heart of the Father saying,"Trust Me, I'll do what I say I will!" in the words that follow.

David killed Uriah to cover the fact that he had despised the word of the Lord when he took His eyes off God and His direction for his life. He started turning them elsewhere and before He knew it he was standing before the prophet, Nathan hearing these words, "You are that man! ....And if it had been too little, I also would have given you so much more!"

"But truly, as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord---
because all these men who have seen My glory and the signs which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have put Me to the test now these ten times, and have not headed My voice, they certainly shall not see the land of which I swore to their fathers, nor shall any of those who rejected Me see it. But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it." Numbers 14:21-24

If you read this whole account in numbers you see clearly that the heart of the Father is once again grieved because of a lack of trust in Him. They had taken their eyes off of His word and His ability to bring it to pass. This account, like the one with David, shows us that His heart was grieved. They had seen Him on ten different occasions show His glory through signs and wonders, and still they didn't wholly trust Him. He said that Caleb was different and if you think back, Caleb had his eyes, not on the giants in the land, but the provision and the promise of God to give it to them.

How often do we like Peter take our eyes off of what He says and look at the storm? Jesus spoke one word. "Come." Peter was out of the boat. He was doing the impossible at one word from Jesus. He was walking on water! It was only after the miracle took place that he looked away and focused on the storm. It was then that he became afraid and began to sink. Jesus responds with words that we can all quote, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" Is their a touch of sadness with those words?

David killed or extinguished the life of Uriah (Flame of God) by not continuing to trust God. The people didn't get to enter into the Promised Land because they didn't trust God despite all He had done. Peter sank in fear because he stopped trusting in the word that Jesus had just spoken to him to come.

I don't know about you but I don't want to kill the fire of God in my life because I get caught up looking at the lusts of the flesh, cares of the world, or the deceitfulness of riches. I don't want to miss out on the abundance of all that He has promised and prepared for me because I take for granted all that He has already done. I don't want to miss out on something as amazing as walking on water, signs, wonders, and miracles because I'm afraid and looking at the storms. Most of all, I don't want His heart to grieve because my trust is not in Him!

"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." He speaks! He spoke! He sent His word; His walking, talking, living, breathing word in the flesh! That we might believe! That we might put our trust in Him! ...And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14  Every time we look at a word or a deed that Jesus said or did we should see the heart of the Father speaking, "I love you! Trust Me!" After all, He sent the walking, talking, living, breathing Word in the flesh... that we might have life, and that we might have it more abundantly! John 10:10

Jesus said, "Render unto God what is due God and to Caesar what is due Caesar."  A lack of trust on our part brings grief to His heart because trust is something that we ought to render unto Him!

He has proved Himself faithful!





No comments:

Post a Comment