Friday, July 19, 2013

Claim Your Ground!

There use to be this cute little coffee/smoothie café in the town next to me, and I always wanted to go there with my computer, get a yummy drink, and just write away. And when someone asked me what I was doing I'd say, "I'm working on a book." They would say, "Oh, your a writer?!" I'd reply, "I want to be a writer," looking forward to the day when I could say, "I am a writer."

What stops me from claiming who I am? What stops any of us from claiming who we are? If we can't give people some significant example of our passion, then we must not really be what we claim? I don't know about you, but I know that I do this too much in my life. I don't claim what is mine. I feel like my bears and lions, are not enough to slay my giants.

"Now his older son was in the field, as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. And he said to him, 'Your brother has come, and you father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.' But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, but he answered his father, 'Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours came,  who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!' And he said to him, 'Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.' " Luke 15:25-32

And I don't know about you, but I know I do this in my life with God, too.

At one point, we are all the lost son, but when we turn our life over to Jesus, there is a celebration. Then as we grow and start serving God, we get into a rhythm. Everyday we just automatically go into the field. When we see a new Christian get all these blessing from God, we can get a little cranky. "God, where is my blessing? Where is my abundance? Where is my magnificent destiny?" We cry out to Him, and he tells us the same thing. "You are always with me, and all that is mine is yours." We just need to claim it. We need to stop waiting for the day on the horizon. It's here! It's now! Claim everything you were meant to claim! Your destiny, your blessings, your abundance! We don't need to wait anymore.

David didn't let people's opinions stop him from claiming he was the guy to slay the giant. His time in the field prepared him, but when the moment came, he claimed his destiny. He didn't wait for someone to tell him he was ready. He took what God and given him, and claimed it.

Don't wait anymore. But in case you are, I'll tell you, claim it now!

---Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment