Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Your Most Important Thing

His son. His son. His son.

God wanted his son.

 Abraham stared blankly at his surroundings. His eye made out the golden sun, the blue sky, the crisp green grass, and the regal mountain range fading into the background. He could feel the breeze on his face. He could smell the sheep dung in the distance. Yet he didn't really sense any of it.

How could he do this? How could the Lord Most High ask such a thing of him? How could he give up a piece of himself, his heart, the most important thing in his life.

 He rubbed his tired, bloodshot eyes. Or was that the point?

Based on Genesis 22:1-2

"But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, 'Abraham, Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' He said, 'Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.'" Genesis 22:11-12

I had a whole new respect for Abraham the other day when I read this with my sleeping baby in my arms. I imagined the internal struggle he went through. I kept thinking about giving up your kid, and all the different things that could mean.

I want to hold onto my daughter, or maybe lock her in a tower to keep all to myself. I want to protect her from harm, hurt, and heartache. I can't do that though... I would be keeping her from all the wonderful things God has in store for her... So one day, I have to let go of one of the most important things in my life, and give her back to God.

However, it doesn't matter if you have a kid, an empty nest, or are thirteen-year-old. God wants to know that you will give Him your all. That you will give Him those things you deem most important in life, place Him first, and let Him work His wonders.

 Will you give Him your most important thing?

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment