Thursday, May 1, 2014

"Early, Late, And All Day Long"

O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So have I looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory.

Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You. Thus will I bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.

When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I rejoice. My soul follows close behind You, Your right hand upholds me. Psalm 63:1-8
      ---------------------------------------------
Today's message is simple. Morning, noon, and night - Seek Him!

I love the declarations that the Psalmist, David is making in this Psalm. His Mission statement as it were."Early will I seek Him." Why? Why be hungry and thirsty for God? He tells us. "To see His power and His glory" at work! Some people think that this is all about the fact that David was in the wilderness separated from the temple, and while there might be some of that, don't forget, this is David, the Shepherd boy who showed up on the battlefield, and the cry of his heart was, "Is there not a cause!" and "Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God." David knew how to seek God in the wilderness. He knew how to hear His voice and He knew that God could be found in the seeking! ...Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:12-13

Seek Him early! Be hungry! Be thirsty! Not for food and drink but for Him first! So many times over the years I have heard people say something like. "Coffee, I need coffee, you don't even want to talk to me till I've had my coffee!" I wonder does that go for God as well? One other question or rather just another quick thought... The sanctuary is no longer a place but a people wholly devoted, a royal priesthood even.. If You and I are the temple...If His power and glory are going to be revealed through us throughout our day, than how? If we want the power and glory God revealed in our life then we must follow the Psalmist's best advice and let the cry of our hearts, each and every morning be ..."O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So have I looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory."

The next three verses David is talking about seeking Him, praising Him, acknowledging Him throughout His day. He said that at the forefront of his thoughts are God's lovingkindesses so that out of the abundance of his heart his lips will speak praise! He said in verse 4, "Thus will I bless You while I live." I don't know what that tells you but it tells me that He will praise Him while he is going about the business of living his life. He is going to give Him praise as the blessings come. He is going to be satisfied and content in Him, and declare His praise with His mouth, his hands, and the contentment of His soul as he rests in the joy of Lord throughout the day!

Next comes the night. It is the end of the day, and still God is the focus of the declarations of his mouth and the thoughts of his heart. "When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches because You have been my help," That means he isn't able to sleep till he spends time thinking and thanking God for his help, His blessings, His presence throughout the day. I don't know about you but when I go to bed I go to sleep. If I am awake for the 'night watches' it is because something is on my heart strongly enough to keep me focused on it. God isn't an afterthought here; He is the thought! He is awake in the night watches because his focus is on God and declaring to Him, "therefore in the shadow of Your wings I rejoice. My soul follows close behind You, Your right hand upholds me."

His first thoughts - are of God. His thoughts throughout the day - God. His thoughts at the end of the day - also God.

There is one last thing to take note of... this wasn't a message that David was trying to teach us. He wasn't about setting a good example so that we would learn from it and follow it. The focus was God and only God. This whole Psalm was spoken to God. It was the cry of His heart and the declaration of his mouth to the amazing God that he loved and served.

"O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So have I looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory.

Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You. Thus will I bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.

When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I rejoice. My soul follows close behind You, Your right hand upholds me."

Today's message is simple - Morning, noon, and night, Seek Him! or maybe "Seek Him early and His blessings throughout the day will keep you up at night!"

"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you." Matthew 6:33 

Check out http://snackpackdevotionsforkidz.blogspot.co



Following us on Facebook  or Twitter options are now available!




No comments:

Post a Comment