Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A True Living Witness

"Now, who will want to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't worry or be afraid of their threats." 1 Peter 3:13,14

We have all heard the tales of those devoted Christians who have suffered for their faith. The stories of missionaries killed by the very people they were trying to help. People suffering for their faith in Jesus. We know of this suffering, the Bible tells us that it is going to happen, that we should be ready for it. But are we too scared to face it?

As an everyday, ordinary Christian, I am not overrun by people who seek to do me harm because of my faith. My bosses, co-workers, friends -  they all know of my faith, that I attend church every Sunday. I try to do my best daily, not to lose control of my tongue, and to live in peace, as the Bible tells me I ought to live.

When I think about my faith, and what I am doing to serve my Lord, to further the faith... Well, suffice it to say that some days, I don't see very much. I think to myself, "Well, my church's youth group has that big event that we are working on... That's my focus for now. Then when that's done, we will start planning the next one. In the meantime, I'll be a living witness. I'll demonstrate what Godly behavior is so the rest of the world can see it. Surely, somebody will see that behavior and ask me about it. Then I'll invite them to church and hope that they see the truth." Then, I stop thinking about the good I'm doing for the Kingdom, because I need to - before the guilt sets in. Because, I KNOW that I need to do more.

I know that something is missing in my life. But what? I read my Bible daily. I pray frequently. I go to church. I tell people I'm a Christian. I do my best to live righteously. What could possibly be missing?

"But if I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak His Name, His word burn in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can't do it!" Jeremiah 20:9

You see, in my quest to be a good Christian, I have misunderstood a key detail - what a living witness truly is.

When you go to a trial, what does a witness do? He doesn't just sit there, a model of good behavior. He tells people the things he's seen. The events he witnessed. Sometimes, even talks about the character of the person on trial.

That's a pretty good analogy of the way unsaved people look at God - like He is on trial. It's our job to show the world who He is. What He did for the world, what He has done for us, and what He can do for them.

We are called to this duty. It is our privilege, our honor. No matter our place in this world, this is our call. It's not to be perfect, to be peaceful, always worried about saying to much and risk offending people. To not make waves. And there is certainly no such thing as an ORDINARY CHRISTIAN.

Will the next witness please take the stand?

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment