Monday, September 30, 2013

"The Obvious Choice?"

There came a day when Jesus used these words, "You cannot serve both God and mammon." Luke 16:13b Such a statement implies a question, "Which will you serve?" The answer is an obvious one that we all, as His servants, will boldly proclaim, "God, of course!"

Choosing God over mammon is an easy choice in words and intentions, but not always as easy or as obvious in the realities of everyday life. I love that the widow gave her last two mites as a gift to God! Luke 21:1-3 She is one of my heroes of faith! I know that for myself, when things are tight financially, and its a choice between tithe and my own needs, the choice is still easy. God! To be honest, for me it becomes a hard choice, or rather, when I struggle and worry about what to give is when it comes down to a choice between diapers and milk for the babies or paying my tithe. That is when I struggle. In the parable of the sower, Jesus acknowledges such a struggle as, "the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches." Again, to be honest, most of the time I make the right choice and trust that He will provide the diapers and milk. But, once in a while I fall short, I miss the mark. I make the wrong choice. I'm sorry to say, mammon sometimes wins. Sometimes the cares and concerns choke out the trust that I, that we, need to have in Him. Paul talks about his struggle this way, "For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not do, that I practice." Romans 7:19 Sometimes we all, like Paul struggle with the right choice.

Lord, forgive me the times in my life that "I don't do thing I know to do," and thank you Lord, for the diapers and milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment