Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Why Behind Your Faith

Why are you a Christian? Is it from a genuine belief in and desire to serve God? Is it something that you were born into, like I was? Or maybe it is the benefits, like going to Heaven and other blessings that are promised in the Bible?

I'll start with myself. I have been a Christian from a very young age, so young that I do not even remember accepting Jesus. Both of my parents were pastors, and soon after I was born my entire family relocated to New England to start a church. I grew up with duties in the church, which, in my teenage years, cause me to question my faith more than once. This wasn't something that I chose, I was born to it. Like so many stories, I felt like a prince who had no choice - I was going to be part of the Kingdom, like it or not.

Now, I am a bit of an over thinker, and the "like it or not" bit was never said by my parents. But, still,
it was ingrained. I spent big parts of 6 out of 7 days of the week in Christian School, Church, or Youth Group. I had no choice. Until the day I realized... Of course I had a choice! Regardless of whatever my parents wanted for me, whatever my friends thought of me, how the world might treat me afterwards - the choice was MINE. No one could choose for me.

I chose to follow my Lord and Savior. Yes, there have been times when I failed. When I have faltered. When I have turned my back. I have had to recommit myself to God, more than once. But my faith is stronger now than it has ever been, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

So, I'll ask it again: Why are YOU a Christian? Not why did you become one, but why are you still one? Is it for the right reasons? Are you there out of a sense of duty? Are you just trying to earn your salvation? Have you been there so long that you just don't know anything else?

It's time to re-evaluate your faith.

"But I, the Lord, search all heart and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve." Jeremiah 17:10

"A man thinks all his ways are right, but the Lord weighs hearts." Proverbs 21:2

"God does not see as man sees, because a man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks into the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7B

God knows everything, even our own reasoning. Be sure that your reasons line up with how He would have you be.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment