Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Provisions for the Journey

"That's enough! It's enough. I'm done!"

His angry scream barely floated into the Heaven's expanse, but he didn't care. His arms were flung wide open. "It's enough. Now, Oh my Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my fathers."

Silence. Again. He felt exhausted, both mentally and physically from his fit of anger. He was barely able to keep his eyes open. Hobbling over to a broom tree nearby, he collapsed.

And he sincerely hoped he wouldn't wake up.

                                                                                   

Elijah felt a nudge on his shoulder. Looks like Yahweh isn't acknowledging that request. 

The nudge turned into a constant tap. Elijah wanted so badly to ignore it, but on the off-chance it was some wild beast trying to determine whether Elijah was going to be dinner, he had better deal with the offender.

If it was just a branch, he was going to be very irked.

Opening his eyes, the sun's early morning light lit up the world with the beauty of a new day. He rolled over, and froze.

Someone. Something. Some type of person, yet Heavenly.

Elijah blinked again. It was a Heavenly servant to Yahweh. An angel.

Blood started pounding through his veins as he stared at he angel. Under the gaze of such scrutiny, it felt like an hour, when really it was barely a minute.

"Arise and eat." The angel pointed to where Elijah's head had been laying.

Upon inspection, Elijah saw a jar of water and...was that a cake? His head swung back to the angel in question, but the angel was gone. Elijah reached out to touch the cake, and found it still warm. In fact, the stone under was warm like it had been baked right there.

"Lord." He breathed out the word in wonder. As angry as he was, his God was still a wonder. Elijah quickly ate the cake and drank the water. Suddenly, he was beyond exhausted again. Sleep came swift.

                                                                            

Elijah stirred again. This time, the sun's afternoon rays greeted him. He blinked, realizing the reason he had stirred.

The taping was back.

Elijah sat up and saw the angel waiting for him.

"Arise and eat, for the journey is too great for you." The angel motioned to where the food had been last time.

This time, without delay, Elijah ate and drank the provisions. Then he got up, and begrudgingly started walking. He didn't know how he knew were to go, but he supposed it was due to the word the Lord was breathing into his spirit.

Horeb

Based on 1 Kings 19:4-8

What I love about this section of Scripture is this verse right here:

"And the angel of the Lord came again a second time and touched him and said, 'Arise and eat, for the journey is too great for you.'" 1 Kings 19:7

Now as bizarre as this verse choice might seem, this verse tells me that God knew that the journey was too much for Elijah.

I wish I could see how many of you rolled your eyes at the obvious I felt the need to state here.

In the midst of Elijah's anger and fear, God didn't just send him to Mount Horeb. He let him rest in the shade of a broom tree. He provided food for him to eat. He let Elijah's strength be restored before sending him on a forty day straight journey.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:1-6

You feel like you keep getting hit with trial after trial, problem after problem, huge unexpected bill after huge unexpected bill. God has never piled on too much for us to handle. He has never sent us on a difficult journey without giving us the rest and provisions beforehand.

And He never will.

Really think about this  part of Elijah's story. He was terrified for his life, broken, and incredibly angry with God. Even amid all those areas where he wasn't completely trusting God, God still provided for him.

Really think about Psalm 23. I can't tell you how many times I had to memorize these verses. Christians hear them all the time. They float in and out of our ears without ever really seeing our hearts. These are verses of refreshing. God will give you green pastures. He will give you times of still water. He will lead you through those low depressing valleys. He's got favor for you that will drive your enemies up a wall. He will give you goodness and mercy all the days of you life. You will dwell in His presence FOREVER.

God knows when a journey is too much for you. He knows when life is kicking you in the gut. He knows, and He provides for the journey. Don't let those words float by you.

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment