Saturday, July 20, 2013

"Huh?" Or " Yeah!" You Decide

Today we are going to take a look at 2 Kings 6:1-7. Every time I've read this account in scripture I've had the say reaction. HUH? It always makes me wonder what this miracle is all about?  Usually, throughout the Word when there is a miracle it is about setting someone free, or for healing, or for raising the dead, and you know, kinda big, God stuff. Here we have an ax head floating so a guy can return it to its owner.

But as one was cutting down a tree, the iron ax head fell into the water; and he cried out and said, "Alas, master! For it was borrowed." And the man of God said, "Where did it fall?" And he showed him the place. So he cut off a stick, threw it in there; and he made the iron float. Therefore he said, "Pick it up for yourself." So he reached out his hand and took it. 2 Kings 6:5-7

While on one level I just don't really get the significance of Elisha making the ax head float on another level I love it. Every time I read it I remember that He cares about all the areas of my life.  In this account we have a young man who is upset at losing his friends ax head. He cries out to Elisha for help and next thing you know he is fishing it out, no problem.  His first response is to immediately look to the man of God for help.  How often do I miss out because it doesn't occur to me that my drowning ax head would matter to God?

The next thing I like to notice is that Elisha's immediate response was to help. He didn't stop to think about it. He simply responded and did his thing. He wasn't full of himself. Helping with the ax head wasn't too insignificant or beneath him.  It reminds me that if I see a need and can help, even if its in a small way that it will bring glory to God.

So, even though I read it and go, "Huh?"  I also go, "Yeah!"  because as I read, it reminds me that He is a God who cares, even about the little things that matter to me in my day to day life. He cares enough to help, even with a lost ax head.


No comments:

Post a Comment