Friday, June 3, 2016

I Refuse to Accept This!

"This is your fault."

Some people mumbled it. Others said it with their dark, angry eyes. One man had marched up to him, and jabbed a finger into his chest.

His fault.

Were they right? He didn't want to believe it, but could it be true? Was this death laid squarely at his feet?"

"NO!" A voice spoke to him. The Lord. Paul took a deep breath to regain his composure. He would not let the lies of the devil distract him.

Ignoring his instinct to panic, Paul knelt over the young man. Then a calm washed over him like a cooling mist on a hot day. His spirit leapt within him.

Eutychus was alive.

Based on Acts 20:7-12

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight. There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered. And a young man named Eutychus, sitting at the window, sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer. And being overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. But Paul went down and bent over him, and taking him in his arms, said, 'Do not be alarmed, for his life is in him.' And when Paul had gone up and had broken bread and eaten, he conversed with them a long while, until daybreak, and so departed. And they took the youth away alive, and were not a little comforted." Acts 20:7-12

So I love how casual Paul is here. I think of The Princess Bride when I read this... He's just like, "Guys, he's not dead. See? Help him get up so we can finish talking."

I know that if I was in this situation, I would have been blaming myself for Eutychus' death. "Oh, no," I'd moan and sob. "It's all my fault!" You don't see Paul take that attitude, and I would be willing to bet that some of the people - people who had just been praising him - were now throwing fiery darts at him. They were probably shouting, whispering, and criticizing him, saying, "This is your fault. He's dead because of you, because you kept droning on and on instead of letting us go home and sleep!"

But Paul didn't let those fiery darts take him down. Not the ones from the people, and not the ones from his own insecurities and doubt. He continued in God's ministry. He did not take responsibility for this lie. It was not his to bear.

I think all of us can relate to this. I know that I can. It's something that's been on my heart. People, even other Christians - will throw darts and jabs from the devil at you. Don't let them take you down. They aren't your responsibility to bear. Jesus took those lies. Your responsibility is to continue in God's will.

Repeat after me, "I REFUSE to accept this lie!"

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment